It seems that one of the most popular trends of the past few years has been the consumption and cultivation of craft beers, which has given rise to a seeming explosion of independent breweries. While every local has their own preference, mine being Crafted & Cured in Dayton, OH, there are options in every destination area. It is also very possible to plan an entire road trip around drinking responsibly across the country; there is even a map that used an algorithm to determine the route to take in order to visit the best breweries in the United States. (https://flowingdata.com/2015/10/26/top-brewery-road-trip-routed-algorithmically/) The trip on this link uses a source list of the top one hundred breweries in the world based on an independent rating system, seventy-two of which are located in the United States, and seventy of those are open to the public. This includes big names in beer such as Dog Fish Head and Elysian, which have both been populating taps and liquor stores nationwide. However, since a list that trims the thousands of breweries listed with the Brewer’s Association down to seventy does not even represent ten percent of the breweries available, there are also resources available to plan your own version trip to include your desired breweries. BreweryMap (www.brewwrymap.com) allows users to look up locations within their own specified radius of either a location or along a trip route. The website, which also has an app version available in the Apple and Google Play stores, offers a third approach by looking up a brewery by name. This option has proven to be a bit too inclusive in the results, so it is perhaps best saved for times of curiosity rather than active trip planning.
To give you some inspiration to start your brewery vacation, here is a list of the top 10 NEW breweries in the US, comprised by the website Top 10.
The top 10 winners in the category Best New Brewery are as follows:
- Barrel Theory Beer Company - St. Paul (barreltheory.com)
- Outer Range Brewing Co. - Frisco, Colo. (www.outerrange.com)
- Dancing Gnome Beer – Pittsburgh (www.dancinggnomebeer.com/home)
- Bearded Iris Brewing – Nashville (beardedirisbrewing.com)
- Odd Breed Wild Ales - Pompano Beach, Fla. (oddbreed.com/age_verification.html)
- New Image Brewing - Arvada, Colo. (www.nibrewing.com)
- HOMES Brewery - Ann Arbor, Mich. (www.homesbrewery.com)
- Eight & Sand Beer - Woodbury, N.J . (www.eightandsandbeer.com)
- New Park Brewing - West Hartford, Conn. (www.newparkbrewing.com)
- Speciation Artisan Ales - Comstock Park, Mich. (speciationartisanales.com)
A panel of experts partnered with 10Best editors to pick the initial 20 nominees, and the top 10 winners were determined by popular vote. Experts Ruth Berman (Bon Beer Voyage), Gary Monterosso (What’s On Tap), Jack Muldowney (The Hop Review) and Ale Sharpton were chosen based on their knowledge and experience of the North American beer scene.